What’s wrong with the ‘truth’ nowadays?
The author discusses the meaning of a word ‘truth’. The analysis is based on contexts coming from The Polish Language Text Corpus (5400 examples of this lexeme’s use). The research refers to usage of ‘truth’ from a sender’s point of view. As a result of this analysis the author presents 6 meanings of this word:
1) The truth as the adequate judgment about reality or its elements.
2) The truth as an opinion accepted by certain communities.
3) The truth understood as whether somebody’s opinion is to some extent true.
4) The truth as authenticity of statements, attitudes, and behaviour.
5) The truth as reality or its element.
6) The truth as a proper image of reality (or its element) passed on through artistic means.
This lexeme has different meanings; moreover, these meanings overlap (syncretism of use). This word is important to contemporary users of Polish. It is necessary to continue research on the ‘truth’ in synchronic, diachronic and comparative aspects.